I am confused. What does commitment, loyalty, friendship, marriage mean in this new millennium? Are these even attributes in todays American society? Maybe I am just too old school, but I still believe in these institutions. When you gain my commitment, you've earned yourself a true companion. Is is wrong for me to expect the same of others? Am I not also entitled to happiness? Does my happiness have to come from the pain of others. In todays America, do I have to "catch ya slipping " to find happiness? Do I have to constantly watch over my shoulder to make sure that people I am supposed to trust and depend on aren't waiting to stab me in the back? How is that really happiness? Call me weird, I don't believe that it is right to utterly destroy someone you have pledged yourself to so that you can have a moment of happiness. Because that's all it is. A moment. A life is built up of a series of moments. I believe that it is our responsibility to build these moments with the best of intentions. Loyalty, and commitment to a bigger picture is the glue that holds this life of moments together. If that is true, and I believe it is, then that would mean that deceit and betrayal are the elements that will destroy a great, wonderful, and happy life or lives.
In today's "Modern American Society", have we gotten so selfish, with our "bling" and our narcissistic behavior, that we have lost even the smallest bit of compassion for what is right? Are we so blinded by our greed, and "coming up" that we have forgotten the value of a true friend?
"Don't walk in front of me, I might not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I might not lead.
Walk beside me, and be my friend"
I'm just saying
~SB~
No comments:
Post a Comment